MIAMI, FL (September 2, 2014) – On Saturday, September 13, 2014, people around the world will celebrate the first International Hope Day, inspired by pop artist Robert Indiana’s sculpture, “HOPE,” and organized to coincide with his 86th birthday. The event honors Indiana’s artistic vision, “to cover the world with hope.” Large-scale sculptures of “HOPE” will be installed on three continents, including a monumental 10-foot red and blue “HOPE” in New York City; a six-foot “HOPE” in Caracas, Venezuela and additional “HOPE” works in Munich, Venice and Miami. Indiana will make a personal appearance in Vinalhaven, Maine where is home and studio are located.
International Hope Day is aimed at reinforcing a positive message during times of turbulence and uncertainty. Those that are present during International Hope Day celebrations are encouraged to post photos of themselves in front of the sculptures to social media using the #HopeDay hashtag. Others are asked to share their own images and messages of hope across social media, also using #HopeDay. Organizers are currently seeking charitable partners so that the momentum and awareness that International Hope Day creates will ultimately positively impact charitable causes.
Indiana created his iconic work “LOVE” in 1964 and it became a symbol of positivity during the turbulent Vietnam War era. He created “HOPE” in 2008 with the belief that the world was ready for a new message. The “O” in “HOPE” leans forward, propelling us to look forward to the promise of a better, more peaceful world.
International Hope Day locations include:
- New York, N.Y.—810 7th Avenue (between the corner of 7th Avenue and 53rd Street)
- Caracas, Venezuela—Avenida Orinoco Entre Jalisco y Monterrey, Las Mercedes, Caracas 1060
- Miami, Fla.—9703 Collins Avenue, Bal Harbour, FL 33154
- Munich, Germany—Tuerkenstrasse 16 – 80333 Munich
- Venice, Italy—San Marco No. 2288, Calle Larga XXII Marzo, 30100 Venezia, Italia
- Vinalhaven, Maine—Star of HOPE, 46 Main Street, Vinalhaven, ME 04863
International Hope Day can be found on social media at: